Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Crossed by Ally Condie

Crossed (Matched, #2)
I am having a hard time writing a review for Crossed.  First, I did not even write a review the first book in this series. Because I had many mixed feeling about Matched. But I have to say Matched was so much better than the Crossed.

In this dystopian series everything in Cassia's life is control by the society. The society controls what you eat, who you love, and even when you die. In the prior book Matched Cassia starts to question the society. By making her own choices she falls in love with a person the society feels is wrong for her.

In Condie most recent addition to the Matched trilogy Crossed, Cassia's has abandoned her home, family, and the only life she knows to find Ky the boy that she really loves. Ky is dealing with the aftermath of being forced to leave Cassia. This is the whole book! More importantly, in Crossed we learn very little about the society.

What is good about Crossed?
1) Love the fact that Tennyson’s Crossing the Bar and Dylan Thomas' Do not go gentle into that good night, are reoccurring themes throughout the book. Condie does an great job with weaving the poems into the story.
2) I also liked the part were Cassia and Ky find each other after all the crap they both have to go through.

What is not so good about Crossed?

1) The first part of the book was just Ky and Cassia wondering in the woods. I know there was character growth during this time by Cassia and Ky put really this should not have been the first half of the book.  This could have been done in a few chapters.

2) It really pissed me of that  Cassia did all this crap to find Ky, and when she find him she seriously thinks about not staying with him. Of course you know she decides to stay with him. But wait the Rebellion sends her back to the society. Ky has to go to a different place, and fight for a cause that he doesn't believe in. Surprise! There will be a third book. I guess all will be answered.

I just have to say thinking back I did like Matched. I found the story really interesting despite the fact there was stuff in that book that I did not care for. But with Crossed I am so mad that I paid money for this book. I could have wait until  the book was at the library. I think Condie fell into the same trap that so many authors do with the 2nd books in their series.

No comments:

Post a Comment